12/04/2006

monday december 4

today i listened to one of lcd soundsystem's new songs, "north american scum," on repeat for a while. the constant use of the word scum in the song reminded me of an incident that took place when i was approximately 7 years old. while on a family walk, i jokingly referred to my dad as "scum" and was admonished for it by my mom. for years, i was annoyed by the irony that the only reason i knew the word in the first place was because i'd read it in a book that she recommended for me.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Ah, that is annoying. One time in grade 2 (around age 7!) my friend asked a teacher on duty at recess (completely innocently) what the word "slut" meant. Instead of explaining it in polite terms and telling her that it's rude to use that word, she gave her detention.

Anonymous said...

So why did you call your Dad "Scum"?

luke said...

probably just excited to flex my new vocab

erin said...

lol at your whole life. there. that takes care of all my comments from now on. i quit commenting.