6/12/2008

wednesday june 11

today i went to the local a&p to buy my dad some cool blue gatorade for his birthday. as i got to the checkout to pay for it, the woman in front of me was finishing up her purchase. the cashier was in the midst of telling her that he'd keyed in the figures wrong, so her receipt would say that he owed her $229 in change, when of course that wasn't true. she laughed and joked that she'd be back for that money, then left the store. turning back to me, the cashier was thereby prompted to talk to me for the duration of my purchase about how great free money would be, and how no one would turn it down, and how he'd really like to get some, and how some people had more than they knew what to do with, and how he wasn't able to buy some things that he'd really like to buy. all the while, i added the occasional "i'll say" or "yeah, for sure" while wishing that i'd gotten in another line.

No comments: