2/23/2010

monday february 22

today i was expecting a friend to come over between 8:00 and 8:30. at 8:20, our doorbell rang, so i jogged downstairs, expecting it to be her. when i opened the door, however, i was greeted by a girl with a clipboard and a GREENPEACE jacket. not wanting to be rude and just tell her to get lost (particularly since she seemed to be going out of her way attempting to "speak my language," referring to canada "butt-fucking" the environment), i listened to her entire two-minute spiel. when she finished and asked if joining the cause might be something i was interested in, i was too polite again, saying that i'd need to read up more before committing to anything. rather than interpreting that as a hint that i'd do reading on my own, she took it to mean that she should tell me MORE about the specific causes that greenpeace is involved in. by the time i finally got her to leave, i'd been standing in my doorway for five minutes, was awfully cold, and was wishing my friend had shown up about 30 seconds into the speech, so i'd had an excuse to get out of it.

2 comments:

Denice said...

why don't you like the ENVIRONMENT luke???? don't you want to kill whale hunters for killing whales? don't you want a criminal record? i thought you were a renegade, shiiit.

they should change their name to greenfightyouandsinkyourbattleship

JDK said...

At the U of MN, there's this bridge across the Mississippi that you have to walk across to get to the other side of campus. Usually at the start of the semester, Greenpeace blockades the whole thing with people in their yellow poncho things, making it neigh impossible to avoid them. I, too, am too polite to just tell them to Fuck Off, so I got suckered into listening to their spiel. I said I was going to the bookstore and was going to come back afterward after I "thought about it." After I hit the bookstore, I took the bus back, thus bypassing any confrontation. That was the only time I ever took the campus bus in my two years of going to that school.