7/29/2007

saturday july 28

today i had a dream in which i was involved in an even more catastrophic shooting incident than columbine or virginia tech. i was neither a shooter nor a casualty, but saw gunshots fired and made a hasty escape. while the dream was fairly vivid, i became convinced, in the aftermath of the incident, that i was, in fact, dreaming. another character in the dream (rose, from lost) assured me that this was not the case: the shooting incident had happened, and she encouraged me to google it if i didn't believe her. with no computer in sight, and in an attempt to deduce whether i was really awake, i eschewed the traditional pinch of oneself (it's never worked that well for me), instead picking up a little twig and snapping it in half, to see if its sound and texture were 'lifelike.' they were, meaning i need a new technique to determine my level of consciousness. suggestions encouraged.

3 comments:

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Having had several dreams in my lifetime in which I became aware that I was dreaming, the most effective method for me has always been to "take control" of the dream. By that I mean, willfully change the direction that the events are going in. I was successful at that once, in a dream in which I was being chased up an apartment stairwell by a knife-wielding killer. As I got to my floor and fumbled for my key (while the killer raced toward me), I realized it was a dream and decided that, like Superman, I was invulnerable. I stood there, chest stuck out, awaiting the killer's knife, which shattered on my unbreakable skin.

Then I woke up.

Amanda said...

okay, the knife trick is way too hella brave for my tastes.

i have had similar experiences, where trying to influence the events of the dream usually work out. although i think it's safe to say that when characters from your favourite tv shows start popping into the scene, you can probably rest assured that it's dreamworld. especially if they're stranded out on an island. come on man.

BNS said...

Try doing sit-ups. Your doubts should be resolved after ten sit-ups.