6/12/2014

tuesday june 10

today i was walking home along my street at about 11:15pm when i saw an old portuguese man struggling to get an empty shopping cart up off the sidewalk and onto the walkway leading up to his house. "need a hand?" i asked, taking off my headphones and grabbing one side of the cart. with my help, we were able to easily get the wheels unsnagged from his front step, prompting him to repeatedly thank me profusely. as i walked off thinking about what a great person i am, it occurred to me to wonder what the heck he was doing bringing what looked like a no frills shopping cart up to his house at that time of night, and also to consider whether i should have stuck around for an extra five seconds to see if he planned to take it up any more stairs -- say, to his front porch.

No comments: