3/10/2020

monday march 9

today i made a reservation for my parents, my girlfriend, and myself at lucia, committing to returning to the restaurant for the first time since losing a pair of winter gloves there in december.

after mistakenly leaving them there after a friday dinner, i called the restaurant on saturday and they confirmed that they had in fact found a pair of grey gloves. relieved not to have lost them for good after only wearing them about three times, i stopped by the restaurant later on saturday evening to pick them up and thanked them profusely when they handed me a pair of grey gloves.

it was about 10 seconds later, when i had left the restaurant and went to put them on, that i realized these weren't my gloves. they were the same colour, but unlike mine, which had full fingers, these ones had half-fingers, making me feel like a 'home alone' villain.

at that point, i made a snap decision to just keep them. after all, if they'd found more than one pair of lost gloves, they probably wouldn't just have randomly handed me one of them. in the following weeks though, i second-guessed that decision. what if someone had mistakenly taken my pair and wanted these fingerless things back, returning to lucia themselves to explain the mistake? should i have ducked back in and explained the situation? would they have insisted they keep the gloves that weren't actually mine?

anyway i've been wearing the replacement gloves off and on for the last three months. they're admittedly pretty good for outdoor texting.

No comments: